A chainsaw will be an excellent tool to get your job done. Whether you need logging, pruning, or gardening, a chainsaw can provide great assistance.
But have you ever wondered how does a chainsaw work? In this article, we will answer about the device’s workflow. From there, you can understand why the chainsaw is so handy.
Let’s come up with this exciting information right here!
What is a chainsaw?
Chainsaw is a device that helps see the trunks of trees and large branches and can even cut bricks, cut metal. You can cut large blocks of material into smaller pieces easily and without much effort when using a saw.
This tool comprises a handle, a saw blade, and an attached motor. The saw blade has a chain structure surrounding a rigid metal guide. Depending on the device, the saw may have other details suitable for the operation of the device.
The chainsaw can work on different energy sources, such as electricity, gas power, and gasoline. But these devices’ main energy source is still gasoline or kerosene.
How does a chainsaw work?
Basically, the chainsaw will convert other types of energy into mechanical energy. This conversion is intended to keep the blade active, helping to cut large materials into the various pieces of the shape you need.
Let’s dive into how this device works through the following steps!
- First, you need to add ingredients to the machine’s container. Usually, the fuel tank of the saw machine will have a capacity of about 0.5l of gas.
- When the chainsaw starts to work, fuel goes through the carburetor. The fuel will mix well with the air, ready for the next step.
- Next, the air and fuel mixture will enter the cylinder. If cars use 4-stroke engines to operate, chainsaws containing only 2-stroke engines are simple. Each tense consists of 1 full action – pull.
- After that, the mixture of fuel and air will burn inside the cylinder thanks to the spark plug. The energy generated by fuel combustion pushes the piston back and forth in the 45mm diameter bore of the engine. The length of the piston stroke in chainsaws is usually 33mm, about half of that in automobile engines.
- The piston is connected to the crank via the connecting rod. As the piston moves up and down, the crank rotates accordingly.
- Through the drive shaft, the energy from the handwheel is transferred to the centrifugal clutch. A centrifugal clutch is a device that works based on centrifugal force, used to keep the saw blade steady at a constant speed. In addition, this clutch is also responsible for keeping the engine safe and not stalling.
- The gear will transfer power from the clutch to the sprocket. When you set the engine to high speed, the clutch connects the engine and the chain to turn the saw blade. When the machine works at a low rate, the chain does not rotate to ensure the user’s safety.
Who invented the chainsaw?
The author of Chainsaw is Samuel J. Bens. He created the “endless chain saw” in 1905 in San Francisco. This tool is a stationary saw capable of cutting through tree trunks without an operator.
After a year, he improved his invention. As a result, the saw has become a compact and convenient piece of equipment. This tool still uses energy to turn the saw blade but has become more flexible, allowing one person to hold and move it to cut wood. This machine was the first version of the chainsaw.
Today, saws have undergone many improvements. Modern saws are becoming more compact, lighter, and more potent in engines. Along with that, they do not consume too much energy, saving users money and limiting harmful emissions to the environment.
Types of Chainsaws
There are three main types of chainsaws: gas-powered, electric, and battery-powered.
Gas-powered chainsaws are typically the most potent type, making them suitable for heavy-duty tasks like cutting large trees. They require gasoline to operate, and their engines generate a lot of noise and emissions.
The mini electric chainsaw is powered by electricity and are typically quieter and more environmentally friendly than gas-powered chainsaws.
They suit light to medium-duty tasks like trimming branches and cutting more little trees. They require a power source like an electrical outlet or an extension cord to operate.
Rechargeable batteries power battery-powered chainsaws and offer a balance of power and convenience. They suit light to medium-duty tasks and are typically quieter than gas-powered chainsaws.
They require a charging source to operate, but they offer the freedom to use them without cords or gasoline.
Safety Tips When Using a Chainsaw
When using a chainsaw, following safety tips to prevent accidents and injuries is important. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Wear appropriate protective gear, including a hard hat, safety glasses or goggles, hearing protection, gloves, chainsaw chaps, or leg protection.
- Clear the work area of any debris, including branches, rocks, and other obstacles that could trip you up or cause the chainsaw to kick back.
- Use proper chainsaw handling techniques, including keeping both hands on the saw, maintaining a firm grip, and standing to the side of the saw blade.
- Be aware of the chainsaw’s kickback zone, which is the area where the chainsaw blade could kick back toward the operator. Avoiding this zone can help prevent serious injuries.
- Ensure the chainsaw is in good working condition before use, including checking the chain tension, fuel, and oil levels.
- Be prepared for emergencies by keeping a first aid kit and a phone or other means of communication nearby.
Following these safety tips can help prevent accidents and injuries when using a chainsaw.
Quick Rundown Of A Chainsaw
Many people love using a chainsaw because of the advantages it possesses. However, this device still has disadvantages that need to be overcome.
Compared with traditional hand saws, chainsaws have many outstanding advantages:
- Help save working time
- Reduce effort consumption
- Can cut large blocks of material
On the contrary, you also need to be aware of some of the weaknesses of this device, including:
- Fuel costs
- May generate emissions that pollute the environment
- May cause insecurity
The chainsaw is a highly applicable device that can be used in many cases. A chainsaw makes it easy to cut blocks of wood or other materials into smaller pieces of the desired size and shape.
After this article, we hope you have understood how chainsaws work. Through this knowledge, you will avoid problems and find solutions when your chainsaw fails. Good luck with your work with this device!